Join the Marina Restaurant team and help us connect people to the wonder of the ocean by providing an unforgettable experience in a spectacular oceanfront setting!
With a seafood menu that is 100% Certified Ocean Wise, a focus on buying local and sustainable product in support Vancouver Island growers and suppliers wherever possible, and some of friendliest kitchen staff in the business, our restaurant is the ideal spot for any who loves food and food culture to build on their existing culinary skill set.
We are looking for a Sous Chef to join our team!
Who are we looking for (and who can you expect to be working alongside?)
- People who are passionate about people – we want individuals who strive to provide those unforgettable guest experiences
- People who are passionate about food
- People who thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment
Asking yourself why you want to work here instead of one of those other restaurants?
- Ample Free Vehicle & Bike Parking!
- A Great Recognition Program!
- Apprenticeship Opportunities!
- Employee Benefits Program!
- Discounts at other Oak Bay Marine Group locations!
- Amazing Annual Staff Party!
Apply today!! Send us your resume and cover letter as soon as possible!
JOB OVERVIEW: The Sous Chef is responsible for assisting the Executive Chef by supervising staff, teaching apprentices, executing food preparation and plated dishes to standard, ordering food, cleaning, coding, inventory and organizing specials. This is a working chef position where the expectation is to cook a designated station at least 3 days and have up to two supervisory mid shifts per week or to cover stations during absenteeism. It is expected that in the chef’s absence, for holidays or illness, the Sous Chef will assume all responsibilities of the Executive Chef. This position’s responsibilities include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Create cost effective, seasonal and creative features that keep in theme with the cuisine of the Marina Restaurant;
- Work with the Executive Chef to develop new menu items; update recipes and maintain the syllabus;
- Assist the Executive Chef to maintain standards by ensuring recipes are complete, accurate and available to support the current menu.
- With the assistance of the Executive Chef, review and understand sales and labour reports relative to budget and schedule according to this and upcoming business levels and events.
- With the assistance of the Executive Chef, review and understand month end results relative to budget and make course corrections as necessary to ensure we meet year end performance targets.
- Help foster the development of apprentices ensuring they receive proper direction and instruction;
- Supervise staff to ensure they are complying with OBMG standards;
- Mentor, coach and performance manage employees when necessary;
- Assist the Executive Chef in performing employee reviews in a timely, effective and efficient manner.
- Complete all documentation related to employees such as new hire packages and change forms while ensuring proper approvals from the Executive Chef when necessary;
- Regular and consistent communication to the Executive Chef regarding any kitchen related concerns (ie staffing issues, equipment failures)
- Prepare recipes to OBMG standards.
- Demonstrate complete knowledge of all menu items.
- Cook at least three and not limited to 5 shifts per week.
- Complying with all policies, procedures and regulations.
- Ensure safety, sanitation and cleanliness at all times.
- Work in a cost efficient and safe manner at all times.
- Report all kitchen equipment failures and call for service when required.
- Attend staff meetings.
- Perform closing duties to OBMG standards.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Chef or General Manager.
- Assist with and/or place all food orders.
Education and Technical Skills:
- Red seal certification in Cooking
- Level 1 Food Safe certification is required.
- Level 2 Food Safe certification is an asset.
- Serving it Right certification is an asset.
- OFA Level 1 First Aid certification.
- A minimum of 2-3 years’ experience as a Sous Chef or Chef de Partie.
- Experience in high volume and high pressure situations.
- Experience supervising staff and with staffing administration such as conducting performance reviews and performance management.
- Experience with local food products.
- Experience with ordering from suppliers
- Understanding of sustainability with regards to food.
- Understanding of seasonal cooking.
- Understanding the operation of all kitchen equipment.
- Customer Focus: implies a desire to identify and serve customers. It means focusing one’s efforts on discovering and meeting the needs of the customer.
- Service Excellence, “Yes I Can” attitude: Treating guests and crew with kindness and enthusiasm; exceeding expectations by anticipating guest’s needs; and resolving guest’s problems, never saying “no” without offering alternatives.
- Relationship Building: is working to build or maintain relationships, networks or contacts.
- Communicating Effectively: is the ability to ensure your message is clearly understood, regardless of the audience.
- Personal Effectiveness: is identifying the best use of your time and other resources at your disposal.
- Initiative: involves identifying a problem, obstacle or opportunity and taking appropriate action through proper pathways to address the problems or opportunities.
- Innovation: indicates an effort to improve performance by doing or promoting new things, such as introducing a previously unknown or untried solution or procedure to the specific area or organization.
- Team Player: is the ability to work co-operatively within diverse teams to achieve group or organizational goals. It includes the desire and ability to understand and respond effectively to other people from diverse backgrounds with diverse views.
- Business Perspective: indicates the ability to understand the business implication of decisions.
- Strategic Orientation: Has the ability to create a strategic vision of success for OBMG restaurants; works with teams, communicates the vision and aligns strategic, operational and personal work plans and goals to achieve the vision.
- Personal Effectiveness: Has the ability to assessing strengths and weaknesses and engage in ongoing self-development and improvement; maintains effectiveness in the face of change or ambiguity.
- Communication Skills: Openly communicates in an honest, persuasive and articulate manner.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills and works cooperatively and effectively within and across organizational units to achieve common goals; treats people fairly, with dignity and integrity, to promote commitment, productivity and good morale.
- Employee Development: Has the desire and ability to develop others by providing a supportive growth environment and by coaching and mentoring.
- Building Relationships: Has the ability to build or maintain relationships, networks or contacts as a priority of the job.
- Team Player: Has the ability to work co-operatively within diverse teams to achieve group or organization goals. Has the desire and ability to understand and respond effectively to other people from diverse backgrounds with diverse views.
- Results Orientation: Focuses efforts on achieving quality results consistent with the OBMG vision through promoting a welcoming and productive climate.
- Business Acumen: Has the ability to understand the business implication of decision s and the ability to strive to improve organizational performance. Is aware of business issues, processes and outcomes as they impact the client’s and the organization’s business needs.
- Business Understanding: Sets direction and operates in keeping with an understanding of the industry, market dynamics and priorities;
- Organizational and Environmental Awareness: Understands the workings, structure and culture of the organization as well as the political, social and economic climate in which the organization operates.
- Corporate Creativity: Has the ability to create expression through food that meets the need of specific target markets and aligns with company Strategic and Business Plans.
- The ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- The ability to lift up to 50lbs and to lift over the shoulder.
- The ability to bend.
- The ability to work in both hot and cold environments.
- The ability to work quickly and accurately.