Join the Marina Restaurant team and help us connect people to the wonder of the ocean by providing an unforgettable experience in a spectacular oceanfront setting!
The Marina Restaurant is looking for Cooks to join our team!
What we have to offer:
- Employee Benefits program
- Red Seal Apprenticeship opportunities
- A great recognition program with positive feedback and incentives
- Discounts at all Oak Bay Marine Group locations
- Amazing annual staff party
- Ample free vehicle & bike parking
- Learning and development opportunities
- Staff referral bonuses
- An amazing view at every location!
We are looking for someone who thrives in a team environment and wants to work with a dynamic team in a fast-paced, fun setting.
The ideal candidate:
- Has at least 1 year experience in a busy kitchen setting
- Is comfortable working with or without supervision
- Has knife & food prep skills
- Food Safe Level 1
- Some customer service experience
You will work in the award-winning Marina Restaurant, a local favourite and “must see” tourism destination. You can take pride knowing our seafood menu is 100% Certified Ocean Wise and we believe in buying local, including sustainable seafood. With sweeping views of Mt. Baker and the Straits of Juan de Fuca, the Marina Restaurant at the Oak Bay Marina offers a feast for all your senses.
Find out more by visiting us on the web at www.obmg.com/join-our-crew and apply today!
- In collaboration with the Pastry Chef, creating, maintaining and updating daily pastry features;
- Responsibility for the daily production of bread for the Marina Restaurant and the bread for sale in the Eatery;
- Production of pastries, squares and muffins for the Eatery;
- Responsibility for executing a wide variety of cost effective and visually appealing brunch menu items;
- Using a creative flare to showcase market trends using seasonal and local products, whenever possible.
- Responsible for assisting with special event and cake orders;
- Maintaining the consistency of all plated dessert items through use of a syllabus;
- Learning how to create cost effective pastry recipes;
- Learning how to cost ingredients for batch recipes and plated desserts;
- Ensuring that substandard equipment is reported to the Pastry Chef in a timely fashion;
- Informing the pastry chef of low product inventory;
- Communicating any changes or product requirements to the Chef on Duty or the Function Coordinator;
- Minimizing waste through the effective use of left-over products and production planning;
- Assisting all pastry apprentices to receive the level of training and experience they require;
- Mentor and organize the general operation of the pastry department and Dockside Eatery.
- Developing and maintaining positive relationship between the front-of-house and back-of house through professional liaisons;
- Provide exceptional “Yes I Can” service to both customers and crew;
- Ensure high quality and supply of products at all times;
- Comply with all policies, procedures and regulations;
- Ensure safety, sanitation and cleanliness at all times;
- Follow and maintain cleaning schedules to audit standards.
Education and Technical Skills:
- Red Seal Baking Certification preferred or enrollment in the program
- Strong skill set in dessert creation, syllabus and costing;
- Knowledge of working with chocolate and sugar;
- Baking knowledge including cakes and pastries;
- Knowledge of ordering and inventory;
- Food Safe 1 required;
- WHMIS certification;
- Occupation First Aid an asset.
- 3-5 years’ experience working in a senior pastry cook role in a high volume kitchen environment.
- Customer Focus: implies a desire to identify and serve customers. It means focusing one’s efforts on discovering and meeting the needs of the customer.
- Service Excellence, “Yes I Can” attitude: Treating guests and crew with kindness and enthusiasm; exceeding expectations by anticipating guest’s needs; and resolving guest’s problems, never saying “no” without offering alternatives.
- Relationship Building: is working to build or maintain relationship, networks or contacts.
- Communicating Effectively: is the ability to ensure your message is clearly understood, regardless of the audience.
- Personal Effectiveness: is identifying the best use of your time and other resources at your disposal.
- Initiative: involves identifying a problem, obstacle or opportunity and taking appropriate action through proper pathways to address the problems or opportunities.
- Innovation: indicates an effort to improve performance by doing or promoting new things, such as introducing a previously unknown or untried solution or procedure to the specific area or organization.
- Team Player: is the ability to work co-operatively within diverse teams to achieve group or organizational goals. It includes the desire and ability to understand and respond effectively to other people from diverse backgrounds with diverse views.
- Business Perspective: indicates the ability to understand the business implication of decisions.
Job Specific Competencies:
- Corporate Creativity: Has the ability to create expression through food that meets the need of specific target markets and aligns with company Strategic and Business Plans.
- Ability to lift upwards of 50 pounds;
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time;
- Ability to bend.