Pastry Chef - Marina Restaurant
Join the Marina Restaurant team and help us connect people to the wonder of the ocean by providing an unforgettable experience in a spectacular oceanfront setting!
With a seafood menu that is 100% Certified Ocean Wise, a focus on buying local and sustainable product in support Vancouver Island growers and suppliers wherever possible, and some of friendliest kitchen staff in the business, our restaurant is the ideal spot for any who loves food and food culture to build on their existing culinary skill set.
We are looking for a Pastry Chefto join our team!
Who are we looking for (and who can you expect to be working alongside?)
- People who are passionate about people – we want individuals who strive to provide those unforgettable guest experiences
- People who are passionate about food (previous kitchen experience is a must)
- People who thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment
Asking yourself why you want to work here instead of one of those other restaurants?
- Ample Free Vehicle & Bike Parking!
- A Great Recognition Program!
- Apprenticeship Opportunities!
- Employee Benefits Program!
- Discounts at other Oak Bay Marine Group locations!
- Amazing Annual Staff Party!
Apply today!! Send us your resume and cover letter as soon as possible!
- In collaboration with the Executive Chef, creating, maintaining and updating pastry menus;
- Overall responsibility for and supervision of the daily production of bread for the Marina Restaurant and the bread for sale in the Coffee House;
- Overseeing the production of pastries, squares and muffins for the Coffee House
- Overall responsibility for creating a wide variety of cost effective and visually appealing brunch menu items;
- Using a creative flare to showcase market trends using seasonal and local products, whenever possible.
- Responsible for executing special event and cake orders;
- Maintaining the consistency of all plated dessert items through effective training and use of a syllabus;
- Creating cost effective pastry recipes;
- Costing ingredients for batch recipes and plated desserts;
- Ensuring pastry department is properly equipped and that substandard equipment is reported to the Executive Chef in a timely fashion;
- Counting pastry inventory on a monthly basis and submitting the results to the Executive Chef;
- Ordering product inventory;
- Communicating any changes or product requirements to the Chef on Duty or the Function Coordinator;
- Minimizing waste through the effective use of left-over products and production planning;
- Ensuring all pastry apprentices receive the level of training and experience they require;
- Developing and maintaining positive relationship between the front-of-house and back-of house through professional liaisons;
- Provide exceptional “Yes I Can” service to both customers and crew;
- Ensure high quality and supply of products at all times;
- Comply with all policies, procedures and regulations;
- Ensure safety, sanitation and cleanliness at all times;
- Create, coordinate and maintain cleaning schedules to audit standards.
Education and Technical Skills:
- Red Seal Baking Certification;
- Advanced courses in chocolate and sugar;
- Advanced baking knowledge including a specialization in cakes and pastries;
- Food Safe 1 required, Food Safe 2 preferred;
- OFA 1 first aid preferred;
- WHMIS certification;
- 5 years in a pastry department;
- 1-2 years supervisory experience preferred;
- Experience with ingredient costing for batch recipes and plated desserts.
- Customer Focus: implies a desire to identify and serve customers. It means focusing one’s efforts on discovering and meeting the needs of the customer.
- Service Excellence, “Yes I Can” attitude: Treating guests and crew with kindness and enthusiasm; exceeding expectations by anticipating guest’s needs; and resolving guest’s problems, never saying “no” without offering alternatives.
- Relationship Building: is working to build or maintain relationship, networks or contacts.
- Communicating Effectively: is the ability to ensure your message is clearly understood, regardless of the audience.
- Personal Effectiveness: is identifying the best use of your time and other resources at your disposal.
- Initiative: involves identifying a problem, obstacle or opportunity and taking appropriate action through proper pathways to address the problems or opportunities.
- Innovation: indicates an effort to improve performance by doing or promoting new things, such as introducing a previously unknown or untried solution or procedure to the specific area or organization.
- Team Player: is the ability to work co-operatively within diverse teams to achieve group or organizational goals. It includes the desire and ability to understand and respond effectively to other people from diverse backgrounds with diverse views.
- Business Perspective: indicates the ability to understand the business implication of decisions.
Job Specific Competencies:
- Corporate Creativity: Has the ability to create expression through food that meets the need of specific target markets and aligns with company Strategic and Business Plans.
- Ability to lift upwards of 50 pounds;
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time;
- Ability to bend.