General Manager, Oak Bay Marina and Pedder Bay RV Resort & Marina
Our dynamic teams are looking for a General Manager who shares their passion for the ocean to lead them in providing outstanding customer service. This position is accountable for providing the leadership and setting exceptional standards of ‘Yes I Can’ service performance in order to deliver unforgettable experiences on the ocean to our customers, professionally upholding the OBMG Core Values, building an enthusiastic team and effectively managing all aspects of the operation and facilities associated with the Oak Bay Marina and Pedder Bay RV Resort & Marina.
The right candidate will bring 5-8 years’ related experience managing as hospitality, recreational, marina or commercial complex.; a minimum of 5 years’ experience in training and leading teams in a Customer Service environment; a post-secondary education in Hospitality or Recreational Management, Business Administration/Commerce, Engineering, or Property Management, or equivalent credentials/combination of education & experience.
The Oak Bay Marina is a popular destination for boaters, tourists and locals who enjoy marine activities and breathtaking ocean views, and offers guests the opportunity to dine at our onsite Marina Dockside Eatery or the Marina Restaurant, as well as take in breathtaking views of Mt. Baker.
Situated in the Oceanside community of Metchosin on beautiful Vancouver Island, Pedder Bay RV Resort & Marina offers stunning oceanfront views with an unsurpassed reputation for customer service excellence.
As part of the Oak Bay Marine Group Marinas, we offer staff discounts at our other locations, learning & development opportunities, and an employee benefits program.
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Model exceptional customer service by supporting and demonstrating the ‘Yes I Can’ service and OBMG Core Values with a professional attitude at all times.
- Provide effective leadership and management over all marina & RV resort crew members and other crew or contractors involved in service, cleaning, building, repairs and maintenance.
- Oversee all aspects of the day-to-day operation of the marina and RV resort facilities, including property management, in a safe, efficient and cost effective manner – ensuring that appropriate standards and controls are in place.
- Work with the Director, Operations & Asset Management to ensure that:
- All real property assets and chattels associated with the Marinas & RV Resort, as well as the parking lots and associated landscaping are managed to a quality standard suitable to the community and Districts of Oak Bay and Metchosin, our customers/visitors and our crew members.
- Beneficial relationships are built with leaders within the Districts of Oak Bay and Metchosin including but not limited to the Mayor, Council and District Managers to ensure effective support for the implementation of future development strategies for marina operations.
Under the guidance of the Director, Operations & Asset Management, oversees the maintenance and improvement of the marinas’ and RV resort physical plant and equipment consistent with company short and long term Asset Management Plans. Submits and monitors annual or emergency capital project budgets and work contracts or work orders to improve the efficiency of the physical plant within scope, schedule and budget.
Marinas and RV Resort:
- Ensure the service standards and maintenance of the marinas, RV resort and surrounding areas is up to OBMG standards, creating an exceptional guest environment and a safe and secure environment for all customers and crew.
- Manage the marinas in a sustainable and environmentally sound manner consistent with the terms and conditions of the Oak Bay Marina Ltd. marina rules and regulations contract with moorage customers and in alignment with provincial and national regulations.
- Set the pace and leads by working shoulder to shoulder with crew to assist in providing guests an optimal guest experience.
- Work with the OBMG marketing team to ensure all revenue targets are met in all departments; ensures marinas are at full capacity through maximized moorage sales.
- Prepare the annual budget; is responsible for meeting cash flow and budgeted revenue and profit objectives and effective management of all expense lines, including approval of all expenses.
- Prepare all required monthly manager’s reports and follows through to ensure that all other OBMG reporting is completed in a timely fashion, including completion of all daily, weekly, monthly and annual paperwork accurately and on time.
- Ensure labour costs are managed consistent with OBMG policy, cost targets and customer service standards.
- Implement a disaster response program that is clearly communicated and trained to all affected.
- Work closely with the OBMG HR department, to recruit crew members that conduct themselves in accordance with the “Yes I Can” philosophy and our Core Values.
- Oversee the supervision of all crew members – establish systems to improve crew morale and motivation levels. Follow up on training at all levels, including guest service standards, and participate in OBMG training programs and initiatives.
- Implement a program for the follow-up of crew performance through both formal one-on-one scheduled reviews and informal on-the-spot performance appraisals for the development and retention of crew.
- Active participation in the Health & Safety Committee. Establish and follow up on the administration of the Safety and Security Program to ensure all applicable corporate safety and security policies are adhered to in compliance with WorkSafe BC.
- Order gas and diesel to maintain appropriate inventory that may vary seasonally and adjusts fuel price to compete in local fuel sales market.
- Manage gift shops and maximizes revenue by making effective purchasing decisions, and managing inventory control practices through efficient receiving, merchandising, and inventory control.
- Build and maintain positive relations with the Districts of Oak Bay and Metchosin including but not limited to Tourism organizations, Chambers of Commerce, Business Associations, Yacht Clubs, and specific officials within the Districts of Oak Bay and Metchosin including the Mayor, Council, and District Managers.
- Maintain frequent communications with Oak Bay officials regarding the best use of the Oak Bay Marina lease and potential for and success of further development;
- Active participant in the development of the future vision for Oak Bay Marina and Pedder Bay RV Resort & Marina.
- Represent OBMG within the communities of Oak Bay and Metchosin and their tourism plans;
- Active participation in the Sport Fishing Advisory Board process and other advocacy initiatives to further the interested of the recreational angling and boating/RV communities.
Education and Technical Skills:
- Post-secondary degree in Hospitality or Recreational Management, Business Administration/Commerce, Engineering, Property Management or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- MBA or equivalent an asset.
- Demonstrated competency in Microsoft Office Suite of Products.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of contract and lease management.
- Solid business management, supervisory leadership, organizational and project management skills.
- Aware of environmental issues as they pertain to boating and marina operations.
- Knowledge of boats and boating; Boat “Operator Competency” Certification an asset.
- Mechanical aptitude an asset.
- Occupational First Aid and C.P.R. an asset.
- A minimum of 5 to 8 years’ experience in managing a hospitality, recreational, marina or commercial complex.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience training and leading teams in a customer service environment.
- Recent property or asset management experience managing or developing a commercial building complex is an asset.
- Experience working with a management team to define and implement business strategies, ideally in a marina, recreational or commercial environment.
- Experience with construction management, project management, contract or lease management, budgeting and reporting.
- ‘Yes I Can’ is
- Passion for Service
- Enthusiastic Teamwork
- Dedication to Greatness
- Respect for our Crew, Community and the Ocean
- Business Acumen: ability to understand the business implications of decisions and the ability to strive to improve organizational performance. Awareness of business issues, processes and outcomes as they impact the client’s and the organization’s business needs
- Improving Operations: ability and motivation to apply one’s knowledge and past experience for improving upon current modes of operation within the marinas.
- Leadership: has the desire to lead others, including diverse teams. Sets direction and operates in keeping with an understanding of the industry, political climate, market dynamics and business priorities of the company.
- Empowerment: ability to share responsibility with individuals and groups so that they have a deep sense of commitment and ownership
- Change Management: ability to support a change initiative that has been mandated within the organization. Can provide the ongoing guidance and support that will maintain enthusiasm and commitment to the change process
- Holding People Accountable: can set high standards of performance and holds team members, outside contractors, industry agencies, etc., accountable for results and actions
- Communications: Openly communicates in an honest, persuasive and articulate manner
- People Skills: Treats people fairly, with dignity and integrity, to promote commitment and productivity. Develops others by providing a supportive growth environment and by coaching and mentoring. Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills and works cooperatively and effectively within and across organizational units to achieve common goals
- Relationships/Client Focus: Seeks and builds internal/external relationships and collaborations. Brings excellence to internal or external clients by focusing efforts on discovering and meeting their needs
- Results Focus: Focuses efforts on achieving quality results consistent with the OBMG current and future business strategies
- Ability to work outside in a variety of weather conditions.
- Standing and walking for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds, carry and bend.