Executive Assistant/Board Secretary
Executive Assistant/Board Secretary – 14 Month Maternity Leave Contract
Oak Bay Marine Group in Victoria, BC, is looking for an Executive Assistant and Board Secretary to cover a 14 Month Maternity Leave. This position is accountable for providing administrative support to the Chief Operating Officer, Board of Directors and the Leadership Team. The role requires an individual with excellent interpersonal skills, strong computer proficiency, experience managing calendars, exceptional organizational and administrative capabilities, and the ability to handle sensitive information confidentially.
We are seeking an individual who thrives on providing a high degree of customer service to both internal and external customers and enjoys working in a fast-paced and unpredictable environment.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- 3-5 Years of administrative experience in an executive office
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Well organized with high attention to detail and able to multi-task in a busy setting
- Experience working independently and managing yourself in a confidential environment
- Integrity and attention to detail
- Experience taking accurate meeting minutes and building associated task lists, preferably in service to a Board of Directors
Why work at Oak Bay Marine Group?
- Friendly office with a group of AMAZING people!
- Discounts at Oak Bay Marine Group businesses
- Learning and development opportunities
- Great Employee Recognition Program
- Employee Benefits Program
- Amazing annual staff party!
How to apply:
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Oak Bay Marine Group (OBMG) has been providing unforgettable experiences on the ocean for over 57 years. OBMG operates 4 amazing marinas on Vancouver Island; the Marina Restaurant & Dockside Eatery in Victoria, BC; a trio of exciting tourist attractions in Newport, Oregon, and a resort located on the most breathtaking beach in the Bahamas.
- Professional communications and interactions, in person or via telephone or email, with both prospective and current customers, community and business partners on behalf of the COO in order to create, enrich and build stronger relationships.
- Support the COO to manage the daily, weekly and long-term appointment and meeting schedules; keep the COO calendar up-to-date, coordinate with the schedules of members of the Leadership Team and key contacts when required.
- Advise the COO of impacts to calendar events and schedule changes; coordinate rescheduling as necessary.
- Prepare draft presentations, edit and finalize as required.
- Coordinate the planning of Leadership Team meetings, including distribution of agendas and meeting packages, preparation of PPT and meeting materials.
- Assist the COO with administrative requirements, including drafting of correspondence and maintenance of file systems (both cloud based and physical) in a highly organized and confidential manner.
- Screen, review, and prioritize correspondence and communication to ensure the COO’s timely response. This will include: assessing information, providing background data where necessary for general information and decision-making; providing advice, replies, follow-up, or assistance on own initiative where appropriate; preparing response for COO’s signature or responding directly, as required.
- Conduct research, prepare draft reports and background documentation on behalf of the COO and Leadership Team as required.
- Coordinate all philanthropic events, sponsorships and donations, in conjunction with the COO.
- Coordinate with corporate event planning such as Staff Events, Orientations, Marina Open Houses, Management Christmas Dinner, etc.
- Plan travel arrangements for the COO, and members of the Leadership Team, including itineraries and agendas, booking flights, transportation, accommodation and any other support as required.
- Complete expense reports for COO when requested, on bi-monthly basis.
- Oversee administration of the “Yes I Can” crew recognition program. Includes initiating an annual review/relaunch of the program each January; ensuring all crew are familiar with the program parameters and all nominations adhere to set standards; directing the Administrative Assistant to ensure timely distribution of letters and pins and/or additional prizing (crew bucks, gift certificates).
- Monitor Victoria Office Department administrative budget in support of business priorities, goals and targets; works with COO and CFO to develop Victoria Office Department budget.
- Monitor and provide operation support for maintaining TripAdvisor, Yelp and other online review platform comments.
- Manage OBMG corporate Social Media accounts.
- Assist CFO with insurance certificates and record maintenance, including maintaining the certificate binder, assisting managers with completion of guest incident reports, ensure reports are processed correctly and in a timely manner and other items as may be requested.
- Assist with formatting of various confidential HR related materials and correspondence.
- Manage OBMG corporate Social Media accounts.
- Demonstrate and support the “Yes I Can” Core Values at all times.
- Comply with all policies, procedures and regulations including the OBMG Crew Handbook.
- Additional duties as requested.
- Work directly with the COO and Board of Directors to ensure that all aspects of Board Administration and governances are effectively managed and addressed in a timely manner.
- Creation and timely distribution of each information package for Board and Shareholder meetings; including the drafting of required resolutions as requested.
- Accurate recording and distribution of the minutes of Board of Directors meetings. The minutes should reflect the format and level of detail the Board has determined to be appropriate.
- Maintenance of an up-to-date board planning calendar outlining matters to be on the board’s agenda over the course of a year.
- Update, organize and maintain confidentiality and safe storage of the Board Minute Books and any other related Board materials and records.
Education and Technical Skills:
- A diploma in Business Administration, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent knowledge and a high level of competency of all programs within Microsoft Office.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to prioritize workload based on deadlines and/or urgency.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent creative writing, editing and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to communicate in an engaging and persuasive manner.
- Willingness to learn and apply knowledge.
- A minimum 3-5 years’ administrative experience in an executive office.
- Experience providing exceptional customer service to clients and office personnel.
- Experience managing one’s self independently while working in a confidential environment with integrity and attention to detail.
- Experience typing, formatting, proofreading and editing a variety of documents, including memos, briefing materials, reports and presentations.
- Experience taking accurate meeting minutes and building associated task lists, preferably in service to a Board of Directors.
- ‘Yes I Can’ is
- Passion for Service
- Enthusiastic Teamwork
- Dedication to Greatness
- Respect for our Crew, Community and the Ocean
- Strategic Orientation: Creates a strategic vision of success for marketing and special events; works with teams, communicates the vision and aligns strategic, operational and personal work plans and goals to achieve the vision.
- Corporate Creativity: Has the ability to create expression through words and images that meets the need of specific target markets and aligns with company Strategic and Business Plans.
- Personal Effectiveness: Has the ability to assessing strengths and weaknesses and engage in ongoing self-development and improvement; maintains effectiveness in the face of change or ambiguity.
- Communication Skills: Openly communicates in an honest, persuasive and articulate manner.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills and works cooperatively and effectively within and across organizational units to achieve common goals; treats people fairly, with dignity and integrity, to promote commitment, productivity and good morale.
- Employee Development: Has the desire and ability to develop others by providing a supportive growth environment and by coaching and mentoring.
- Building Relationships: Has the ability to build or maintain relationships, networks or contacts as a priority of the job.
- Team Player: Has the ability to work co-operatively within diverse teams to achieve group or organization goals. Has the desire and ability to understand and respond effectively to other people from diverse backgrounds with diverse views.
- Customer/Client Focus: Has the desire to identify and serve customers. Has the ability to focus one’s efforts on discovering and meeting the needs of the customer or group of customers.
- Service Excellence, “Yes I Can” attitude: Has the ability to treat potential clients and crew with kindness and enthusiasm; exceeds expectations by anticipating client’s needs; and resolves problems, never saying “no” without offering alternatives.
- Results Orientation: Focuses efforts on achieving quality results consistent with the OBMG vision through promoting a welcoming and productive climate.
- Business Acumen: Has the ability to understand the business implication of decision s and the ability to strive to improve organizational performance. Is aware of business issues, processes and outcomes as they impact the client’s and the organization’s business needs.
- Business Understanding: Sets direction and operates in keeping with an understanding of the industry, market dynamics and priorities;
- Organizational and Environmental Awareness: Understands the workings, structure and culture of the organization as well as the political, social and economic climate in which the organization operates
- The ability to sit for extended periods.
- The ability to bend.