Dining Room Supervisor, Part-Time
Join the Marina Restaurant team and help us connect people to the wonder of the ocean by providing an unforgettable experience in a spectacular oceanfront setting!
With a seafood menu that is 100% Certified Ocean Wise, a focus on buying local and sustainable product in support Vancouver Island growers and suppliers wherever possible, and some of friendliest staff in the business, our restaurant is the ideal spot for any who loves food culture and great customer service, and wants to build on their team leading skill set.
We are looking for a part-time Dining Room Supervisor!
Who are we looking for (and who can you expect to be working alongside?)
- People who are passionate about people – we want individuals who strive to provide those unforgettable guest experiences
- People who are passionate about great food
- People who thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment
Asking yourself why you want to work here instead of one of those other restaurants?
- Ample Free Vehicle & Bike Parking!
- A Great Recognition Program!
- Apprenticeship Opportunities!
- Employee Benefits Program!
- Discounts at other Oak Bay Marine Group locations!
- Amazing Annual Staff Party!
POSITION: Dining Room Supervisor, Marina Restaurant
BUSINESS UNIT: Marina Restaurant
REPORTS TO: General Manager, Marina Restaurant
JOB OVERVIEW: The Dining Room Supervisor is responsible for all front of house operations of the Marina Restaurant working in support of the General Manager and management team. Responsibilities include (but are not limited to) revenue generating programs, controls, operating standards and the development of an effective front of house team. Functions as a Restaurant Manager on Duty when scheduled and gives assistance as such when working shift on the floor.
- Provides support as Restaurant Manager on Duty to oversee all aspects of the day-to-day operation of the restaurant in an efficient and cost effective manner in support of the GM and management team, ensuring that appropriate standards and controls are in place. Quality of customer service standards are of critical importance.
- Maintains a regular presence within the front of house whereby the Dining Room Supervisor leads by example – works shoulder to shoulder with the crew and becomes familiar with regular guests and members of the community.
- Consistent and timely communication with crew members and guests, ensuring each crew member receives direct supervision and support.
- Leads the dining room crew; makes sure they understand their responsibilities, are thoroughly trained to perform these duties and know how this performance affects the sales and profits of our business.
- Ensures productive communication in the dining room, and between the kitchen and dining room.
- Ensures guests are served with consistent speed and efficiency.
- Assists GM and management team to achieve company-wide goals and business priorities.
- Ensures first class appearance of the dining room including displays, maintenance, storage, and cleaning standards.
- Works with GM and management team to develop and promote upsell programs for the crew i.e. wine, starters, specials, desserts, etc.
- Ensures dining room labor is timely and well controlled.
- Support the S.T.A.R.S. Core Values and ensures these values are cascaded to all crew members.
- Create and maintain a positive environment in support of the ‘Yes I Can’ philosophy.
- Comply with all policies, procedures and regulations including the OBMG employee Handbook.
- Operate and maintain equipment to standard while treating company property with care and respect.
Education and Technical Skills
- A post-secondary degree or diploma in Hotel/Restaurant Management is an asset.
- Serving It Right certification is required.
- Foodsafe Level 1 is required.
- Foodsafe Level 2 an asset.
- Strong working knowledge of “Word” and “Excel” and Squirrel.
- Excellent human resource management skills.
- Excellent organizational, analytical and communication skills.
- Specialized knowledge of budgeting and accounting.
- Occupational first aid is an asset.
- Experience successfully leading a dynamic team.
- Experience fostering a positive FOH and BOH relationship.
- 2 years’ experience as an F&B Supervisor is an asset.
- Customer Focus: implies a desire to identify and serve customers. It means focusing one’s efforts on discovering and meeting the needs of the customer.
- Service Excellence, “Yes I Can” attitude: Treating guests and crew with kindness and enthusiasm; exceeding expectations by anticipating guest’s needs; and resolving guest’s problems, never saying “no” without offering alternatives.
- Relationship Building: is working to build or maintain relationships, networks or contacts.
- Communicating Effectively: is the ability to ensure your message is clearly understood, regardless of the audience.
- Personal Effectiveness: is identifying the best use of your time and other resources at your disposal.
- Initiative: involves identifying a problem, obstacle or opportunity and taking appropriate action through proper pathways to address the problems or opportunities.
- Innovation: indicates an effort to improve performance by doing or promoting new things, such as introducing a previously unknown or untried solution or procedure to the specific area or organization.
- Team Player: is the ability to work co-operatively within diverse teams to achieve group or organizational goals. It includes the desire and ability to understand and respond effectively to other people from diverse backgrounds with diverse views.
- Business Perspective: indicates the ability to understand the business implication of decisions.
- Personal Effectiveness: Has the ability to assessing strengths and weaknesses and engage in ongoing self-development and improvement; maintains effectiveness in the face of change or ambiguity.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills and works cooperatively and effectively within and across organizational units to achieve common goals; treats people fairly, with dignity and integrity, to promote commitment, productivity and good morale.
- Employee Development: Has the desire and ability to develop others by providing a supportive growth environment and by coaching and mentoring.
- Building Relationships: Has the ability to build or maintain relationships, networks or contacts as a priority of the job.
- Results Orientation: Focuses efforts on achieving quality results consistent with the OBMG vision through promoting a welcoming and productive climate.
- Business Acumen: Has the ability to understand the business implication of decisions and the ability to strive to improve organizational performance. Is aware of business issues, processes and outcomes as they impact the client’s and the organization’s business needs.
- Business Understanding: Sets direction and operates in keeping with an understanding of the industry, market dynamics and priorities;
- Organizational and Environmental Awareness: Understands the workings, structure and culture of the organization as well as the political, social and economic climate in which the organization operates.
- This position demands a person who is energetic, flexible, organized and prepared to execute a wide variety of tasks in a high-pressure environment, consistently delivering results that contribute to the overall success of the company.
- Standing and walking for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift, carry and bend.