With an office space view of the Oak Bay Marina, an onsite eatery with a sunny oceanside patio & a world-class 100% Oceanwise restaurant (both offering our staff special discounts!), and some of friendliest staff in the business, our office is the ideal place for anyone looking to expand on their already established professional accounting skillset!
We’re looking for an Accountant with strong written and oral communication skills, well organized with high attention to detail and that is able to multi-task in a busy setting. This individual needs to be self-motivated and able to meet tight deadlines. At least 3 years working in an accounting department is a must.
Asking yourself why you want to work here instead of one of those other boring office spaces?
- Working in a friendly office with an amazing group of people!
- Discounts at the Oak Bay Marine Group locations
- Learning and development opportunities
- A Great Recognition Program
- Employee Benefits Program
- Amazing annual staff party!
If you think you’re up to the challenge, submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Accountant is responsible for the accurate, timely and effective preparation of the financial reporting data for a diverse group of operations in three countries, maintaining the general ledger and other financial reporting systems. This position is responsible for hands-on administrative work and support for the day-to-day activities of the finance department. Key responsibilities include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Ensure the accurate, timely preparation and reporting of the general ledger, to support month-end financial reports, year-end audit preparation to meet tight deadlines.
- Prepare the General Ledger account reconciliation on a monthly basis.
- Complete journal entries and bank reconciliations.
- Prepare all accounting entries and reporting pertaining to moorage transactions.
- Prepare all non-payroll related taxes, including GST and PST and other liabilities.
- Demonstrate and maintain a positive environment in support of the “Yes I Can” philosophy and ensure the STARS Core Values cascade to all crew.
- Provide support to all members of the finance department to ensure the team’s work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Monitor and analyze own work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of productivity and accuracy.
- Update financial forecasts; contribute to the monthly variance analysis of each division’s financial statement.
- Support the CFO with special projects, such as assisting with the annual budget and forecasting process, assisting to ensure a clean and timely year-end external audit process.
Education and Technical Skills:
- A college diploma in accounting or equivalent combination of finance education and experience in a hospitality or tourism environment is required.
- A professional accounting designation (CPA, CMA, CGA) near completion, is ideal.
- Experience with MS Dynamics and Management Reporter, or comparable systems is required.
- Competency in Microsoft Office and particularly, high proficiency in MS Excel is required.
- Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills.
- Demonstrated leadership ability and strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organization skills.
- A minimum of three years in an accounting department with increasing levels of responsibility and accountability.
- Supervisory experience an asset.
- Customer Focus: has the desire to identify and serve customers. It means focusing one’s efforts on discovering and meeting the needs of the customer.
- Service Excellence, “Yes I Can” attitude: Treats guests and crew with kindness and enthusiasm; exceeds expectations by anticipating guest’s needs; and resolving guest’s problems, never saying “no” without offering alternatives.
- Relationship Building: works to build or maintain relationships, networks or contacts.
- Communicating Effectively: has the ability to ensure a message is clearly understood, regardless of the audience.
- Personal Effectiveness: identifies the best use of your time and other resources at your disposal.
- Initiative: identifies a problem, obstacle or opportunity and takes appropriate action through proper pathways to address the problems or opportunities.
- Innovation: indicates an effort to improve performance by doing or promoting new things, such as introducing a previously unknown or untried solution or procedure to the specific area or organization.
- Team Player: works co-operatively within diverse teams to achieve group or organizational goals. It includes the desire and ability to understand and respond effectively to other people from diverse backgrounds with diverse views.
- Business Perspective: indicates the ability to understand the business implication of decisions.
- Business Acumen: Has the ability to understand the business implication of decisions and the ability to strive to improve organizational performance. Is aware of business issues, processes and outcomes as they impact the client’s and the organization’s business needs.
- Business Understanding: Sets direction and operates in keeping with an understanding of the industry, market dynamics and priorities;
- Results Orientation: Focuses efforts on achieving quality results consistent with the OBMG vision through promoting a welcoming and productive climate.
- Organizational and Environmental Awareness: Understands the workings, structure and culture of the organization as well as the political, social and economic climate in which the organization operates.
- Personal Effectiveness: Has the ability to assess strengths and weaknesses and engage in ongoing self-development and improvement; maintains effectiveness in the face of change or ambiguity.
- Communication Skills: Openly communicates in an honest, persuasive and articulate manner.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills and works cooperatively and effectively within and across organizational units to achieve common goals; treats people fairly, with dignity and integrity, to promote commitment, productivity and good morale.
- Building Relationships: Has the ability to build or maintain relationships, networks or contacts as a priority of the job.
- Team Player: Has the ability to work co-operatively within diverse teams to achieve group or organization goals. Has the desire and ability to understand and respond effectively to other people from diverse backgrounds with diverse views.